Monday, March 8, 2010

Shutter Island (2010)



director: Martin Scorsese
writer: Laeta Kalogridis

starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Ruffalo, Ben Kingsley, Michelle Williams

genre: Thriller



Mini-Review by Paul


I will not talk in great length due to this being a mini-review and not going over board on stating the obvious. I As could go on and on about Scorsese's greatness or how good the job the cast and crew did. But I do want to mention something I had said in my previous review of Sorority Row (2009). That everything we will see from now on we have already seen in one manner or another and this couldn't be truer for Shutter Island.




What I wanted to emphasize is on how the script unfolds. From the trailer we didn't know exactly how the film would play out. Now that I've seen the film, to my surprise Shutter Island had a twist. Something I was disappointed with and thought to be unnecessary. Though I did love Teddy's flashbacks/memories sequences. On the twist the film has I wont spoil. The twist is neither a bad one or an illogical one. But its a twist that Ive already seen countless of times in other films. My problem wasn't that, but that I didn't think the film needed it. The film's plot was well enough, smart enough, entertaining enough for the twist not too be needed. It's puzzling to me how they agreed to leaving the films ending in when its already been done in films x,y and z. Probably they left it due to the fact that its already in the book. So for that you can cut them some slack. Also from how film twists go, its done very effectively. This not your sissy twist where the film suddenly ends. Most likely with a second viewing the film will be a better experience once knowing the whole story.




Depending if you've seen films which are very similar to Shutter Island may have a great effect on your enjoyment of the film. Looking back at Shutter Island it was a great thriller. It was well done and throughout the entire length not even a bit boring. And like I said the twist was written very well and staged to justify its on going revelation and conclusion. Still I advise people to see this film and hope they enjoy the twist!


Personal Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment